Thursday, October 18, 2007

Celebration of the work, or of the process?

Anticipating a social event is always difficult for me. I enjoy them and yet dread them at the same time. I have to force myself to go, but once I am there, I usually enjoy them. I have the good fortune of having learned "party habits" from my mother.

"Look people in the eye when you shake their hands, and say their names. Nothing is sweeter to a person's ears as the sound of their own name."

"Turn to the person next to you and ask, 'And what are your interests?' People love to hear themselves talk."

Her cynacism bore out as true.

I will be going to a social gathering this weekend with my friend. It is a cememorative event at which I will no nobody besides my friend. The event commemorates an artist; a writer, specifically. The invitation says that drinking will be an essential component to the comemorative event since the artist was a drinker. I have a hard time with that.

Are we celebrating the work, or the process? Because the work was good. The process, though so often romanticized, resulted in a lot of collateral damage.

No comments: