Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Priapus, Priapus, wherefore art thou Priapus


Yesterday, in my blog, I wrote, "For me, sex is an escape."

That triggered a discussion.

We all agree that ultimately, sex is many things. Escape, love, play, gestalt therapy, violence, art, spiritual connection, acceptance, and sometimes Olympic-worthy calisthenics.

As a species, we have been talking about sex since slightly less longer than we have been having it. (First ur-grunts excluded as "talking.") So there is little new that I can add to that discussion in a short blog.

But let me introduce an opposing theory that was presented to me: "The first association a person makes often gives you insight into what s/he values most in life."

Her first association with the word sex is love.

I guess rather than waxing pontifically, I will just leave this blog at that question: What first association comes to your mind with the word sex?

I dare you to raise that discussion with your partner. Just remember, this is a Rorschach test. So the goal is not to be accurate or arrive at a encompassing definition. Of course sex is many things. What is more revealing is: What is the first thing? What is your knee-jerk response. What does your gut say, not your mind? The goal is not to arrive at an answer, but to prompt discussion that will be emotionally revealing.

Now that I think about it, I know exactly why my gut association with sex is escape. But this public forum is certainly not the medium for that revelation. That admission, confession, depth will only be delivered in whispers.

No comments: